Sononym is a sample browser that offers a fresh perspective on how sounds can be explored and organized. The software is available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
Ask Sononym to analyze a folder, and all available information – tempo, pitch, amount of noise, harmonic content, etc. – is collected from your files and stored in a database. This ensures blazing fast access as you search, filter and sort your way through vast amounts of samples.
Similarity search enables you to find similar-sounding samples in your sample collection. Basically, pick any sound as input and “see where it takes you” – finding variations has never been this easy. For more control, you can determine how much individual aspects (e.g. similarity across pitch or timbre) should matter.
While analyzing your samples, the software uses machine learning to categorize the content. The default set of categories in Sononym are broadly based around electronic music production and describe distinctive groups of sounds such as ‘snare drums’ or ‘synth pads’. In addition, all sounds are classified as either looped or non-looped (one-shot) sounds.
Bookmarking & Exporting
Sononym combines bookmarking and exporting into a single workflow. You can freely organize, tag and rename your bookmarked files in projects, which are automatically exported to a folder of your choice. We believe that picking out sounds of interest and making them available elsewhere should be an effortless thing to do.
• Faster access to libraries
• Select and Search/Export Audio Regions
• Favorites, Quick and easy
• Support for system clipboard
• New Columns: Date Added, Crest Ratio
• Changed Filter Panels
• Improved handling of missing files and folders
• New keyboard shortcuts
• Other tweaks and bug fixes
• Upgraded Internals
• Improved Text Search (Synonyms)
• Additional File Name Columns
• More Customizable Collections
• Faster Audio Preview
• Smooth scrolling on touch/trackpads
• Improved drag and drop in Windows
• Other tweaks and bug fixes…