BIG AL is a dual-stage tube saturator that offers a broad palette of marvelous sound flavors flowing from the interactive network within its transformer-coupled pre and power amp. Based on completely novel circuitry and authentic NOS components from the 1930s, the one-off analog hardware has been exclusively designed for this plugin.
BIG AL’s frequency conditioning begins right in the EF9 preamp stage. The Low control is implemented as a Baxandall filter which allows adjusting saturation intensity around 100Hz in optional combination with boosting or cutting the bass at the same time.
The High control is an additional EQ band placed in front of the preamp tube. Its peaking filter boosts or cuts high-frequency content around 10kHz which is essential for inciting or taming BIG AL’s treble aggression potential.
A jumper matrix grants access to BIG AL’s core circuitry: Emphasis Shift, Bass Compensator and Voltage Sag provide powerful options for making complex changes to the distortion profile on the fly by inserting or pulling a few simple plugs.
The finishing spice is added by the AL4 power pentode and its output transformer, driven hot by the preamp stage. The result? A truly gorgeous kind of harmonic saturation that will always sound organic, musical, and bold.
• Tube saturator built around vintage components from the radio era.
• Uses pre and power tubes to generate sound coloration (‘The Power Saturator’).
• Emulation based on a one-off hardware created exclusively for this plugin.
• Straight forward user interface spiced up with three jumpers for in-depth onboard mods.
• Very musical and analog sounding saturation and filters.